Admitted to the bar in 2000, Genevieve has over 21 years of litigation experience both in New Zealand and Australia working in private practice and as a Barrister sole.
While having a broad litigation background in both civil and criminal law, Genevieve has particular experience in civil, criminal and family appeals, relationship property disputes and coronial inquiries – both as representative for families and as counsel to assist. Genevieve acts for clients from around New Zealand and has practice bases in both Tauranga, Bay of Plenty and Oxford, North Canterbury.
Genevieve is an adaptable and experienced advocate having acted in matters subject to both inquisitorial and adversarial processes, including the Tenancy Tribunal, Employment Relations Authority, the Teachers’ Disciplinary Tribunal and courts, including the Employment, Coroner’s Court, District Court and High Court.
Genevieve is a legal aid provider for criminal (PAL1 and Duty Lawyer) and civil matters and is also an approved senior lawyer on the Royal Commission Abuse in Care Legal Assistance Panel.
In addition to her legal work Genevieve has extensive Governance experience. Over the last 11 years she has served on numerous not for profit boards including the Restorative Justice Trust, Tatai Ora and currently the Whanganui Collegiate Trust Board.
Genevieve is also a contributor to the New Zealand Bar Association | Ngā Ahorangi Motuhake o te Ture publication At the Bar.
LLB, BA (Political Science), University of Canterbury, 2000
Admitted as Barrister and Solicitor of the High Court of New Zealand, 2000
Admitted as Barrister and Solicitor of the Supreme Court of Victoria, Australia, 2002
Entered on Register of Practitioners, Registry of High Court of Australia; entitled to practise as a Barrister and Solicitor in any Federal Court of Australia, 2003
Representative roles and memberships
Tauranga/Whakatane elected representative, Branch Council, New Zealand Law Society | Te Kāhui Ture o Aotearoa
Tauranga/Whakatane representative, Council, New Zealand Bar Association | Ngā Ahorangi Motuhake o te Ture
Member, Family Law Section, New Zealand Law Society
Member, New Zealand Bar Association | Ngā Ahorangi Motuhake o te Ture
Member, Criminal Bar Association
Member, New Zealand Defence Lawyers Association
Ako Legal Platform
- Several successful section 106 applications, in particular Police v Thomson  NZDC 14732
- ELG v MWM  NZHC 2066 – Successful appeal regarding COCA orders
- Kumar v Police  NZHC 2186 – Successful appeal against conviction; discharge without conviction granted on appeal
- P v Police  NZHC 1630 – Successful appeal against sentence; discharge without conviction granted on appeal
- Smith v Police  NZHC 3437 – Successful appeal in respect to decision not to consider bail application
- Ngamoki v Police  NZHC 14 – Successful appeal against conviction
- Sergeant v Tapsell & Ors  NZHC 902 – Leave to Appeal to Court of Appeal granted regarding right of occupancy under Residential Tenancies Act 1986
- D’Orta-Ekenaike v Victoria Legal Aid & Anor  HCA 12 – Lead instructing solicitor for Victoria Legal Aid from start of proceeding in the County Court of Victoria through to hearing of the matter before the full bench of the High Court of Australia